Pages

Thursday 29 January 2015

A New Year - looking through rose coloured reading glasses

A new year and I just found out I need reading glasses. Well, when I say ‘just found out’, I've known in my heart of hearts for about a year but have been pretending that printing on packaging has just got smaller and lighting generally more moody.

So there you go. After much deliberation I selected two pairs and will pick them up in 10 days. Now I will be able to administer the correct dosage of baby Panodol to my three-year old.

I’m also hoping they will make me read and write more prolifically. And if they don’t, the fact that I am cutting out TV during the week might do the trick.

I’m constantly complaining about being time poor but one thing I’ve learnt over my limitted years of writing is that everyone has stuff going on in their lives. Everyone has jobs, kids, school pick-ups, family commitments, household chores or financial requirements.

I’m not the only one. I just have to get on with it.

It’s a matter of making it happen. Finding the time. Or turning off the TV. 

In his book ‘On Writing’, Stephen King says that ‘TV… really is about the last thing an aspiring writer needs.’

So true apart from the fact that I love TV! Remember, I’m an actor as well so I really love good telly. Plus I’m an insomniac and I find that TV calms me down at night and helps me to relax so I can get to sleep. 

Writing excites me, energises me. Once I’ve started, I find it hard to stop. And once I do stop I find it hard to sleep. Which is fine except my children are early risers and the youngest still a night-waker.

So I’ve decided to find a happy medium. No TV during the week so I can work, read and hopefully start on the second draft of my book. Then on the weekends I can catch up on my favourite shows and maybe a bit of sleep.

A new year is refreshing and inspiring but it’s the follow-through that counts.


We’ll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment