Pages

Saturday 1 June 2013

On The Precipice...


I’m on the brink of an extremely exciting chapter in my life. For some it might be nothing more that a big pain in the derrière but for me it’s the start of a whole new world!

Renovations!

Yes, at long last after four years, we’re finally about to embark on that tumultuous journey of home renovations. And I can’t wait!

As I mentioned a little while ago, I’ve been on the prowl for the perfect builder and would you believe not long after that post, I found him. Not the one I initially thought. But the right one.

But then as with all good relationships, it’s never the one you think it’s going to be. Because at first you’re too distracted by Mr Completely Inappropriate in the centre of the room jumping through hoops and making everyone laugh, to notice Mr Intriguing in the corner having interesting and meaningful conversations. Until you finally come to your senses.

Or maybe that’s just my experience with relationships… 

Anyway I’ve finally found the one and it’s all about to happen. Not that I’m ready to call him ‘my builder’. Not quite yet. Maybe when we’ve signed the contract, the first wall has been knocked down and the house is still standing. Then I might feel little more committed.

The work was supposed to start last week but has been pushed back – hopefully not a sign of things to come. But to be honest, as desperate as I am for the work to start, I’m far from ready.

Apart from packing up half the house and moving my family to my parents for a month, I still have to choose paint colours, appliances, a splashback, benchtops, tapware and where to put my power points.

I actually write about other people’s renovations for a living. There’s not much I don’t know about stylish fittings, flooring and a neutral colour palette. But now it’s my own house, I don’t know where to start.

With small children, closed-in spaces and dishpan hands, I’ve been dreaming of our life-changing renovation for so long. (Look at the name of my blog!) But now it’s about to happen I’m scared it might not live up to my over-inflated expectations.

That’s the danger of fantasies. When they’re fulfilled, the reality could fall short of what you imagined. What happens if I achieve my dream and it does not give me the happiness I’m anticipating?

Will my life be better with an open plan kitchen/lounge/dining area? Will my hands look young and supple again when I have a dishwasher? Will I feel inclined to clean my house more often once it’s been renovated?

Hopefully all the answers will be yes, yes, yes – apart from cleaning, I’m pretty sure I won’t feel like cleaning anymore than I do now, which is not very often. But at least I will be able to hear what people say to me when I’m cooking in the kitchen. And see my toddler when she stands on the coffee table or pulls my laptop onto the floor. So that will be pretty good.

And as far as the name of my blog, maybe I will have to call it Dreaming of a Better Dishwasher as I’m sure whatever we can afford will no doubt be a bit dodgy. But even a dud dishwasher must be better than no dishwasher at all.

I can’t wait to find out…

No comments:

Post a Comment